Larry Cohen Recognition Project
Public Art Opportunity
Artist / Landscape Designer RFQ
Forecast Public Art, in association with the Larry Cohen Memorial Volunteer and Selection Committees invite artists and landscape designers to submit public art qualifications for the design and installation of a memorial to Judge Larry Cohen that utilizes the plaza adjacent to the historic Saint Paul City Hall and Ramsey County Courthouse.
The project honors Judge Cohen’s work by creating a vibrant, attractively-designed and equipped permanent public space for the recognition and celebration of citizenship and diverse and inclusive public leadership. The design will serve to honor the life and work of Judge Cohen, and not include a likeness (a statue or bust, etc.). As such, the completed project should be a gathering place that reflects the virtues of including new citizens in the civic fabric. The plaza will be a welcoming place where people from all backgrounds can come to learn and talk about Saint Paul’s rich immigrant history and the work of civic leaders like Judge Cohen who contributed to advancing that history. Students and others will see how carrying forward this work can contribute to the future vibrancy of our city and region.
Submissions due May 1, 2018 at 4pm CST.
Artist/designer team qualifications/eligibility criteria:
- Must have completed two commissioned outdoor public works with budgets of $150,000 or more
- Must demonstrate a history of projects that consider spatial design
- Is available for an in-person interview in Saint Paul
- Artists/landscape designers are encouraged to apply as teams
- Individuals are eligible to apply if they have both public art and landscape design qualifications – address this in your letter of interest
- Able to address climate and ecosystems specific to Minnesota and this site
- Current students are not eligible
For the full RFQ, eligibility criteria, timeline, budget, and details how to apply, please click here: