Since our Annual Artist Retreat still isn’t possible this year, Southwest Minnesota Arts Council will be holding a series of smaller art classes taught by artists from the region for artists in the region. Each class will be taught in THREE locations within our region, hitting the North, Central & South!
Please contact SMAC with accessibility inquiries for specific locations.
Please communicate access accommodations requested to attend: firstname.lastname@example.org
Taught by Saara Myrene Raappana
- Saturday, May 22 from 1-3 pm at Southwest Minnesota Arts Council in Marshall. Event done, thanks for attending!
- Saturday, June 5 from 1-3 pm at The Barn Theatre in Willmar
Event done, thanks for attending!
- Register for Saturday, June 19 from 1-3 pm at The Pipestone Performing Arts Center
Slant Rhyme and Meter and Voltas, Oh My! Set Your Writing Free with Form Techniques: Writing a poem is like putting together a puzzle—except that the pieces are all the words in the world, and you have no picture to reference. The techniques used in formal poetry—meter, syllable-counting, rhyme—can be a great way to bring the picture into focus, find those vital “corner pieces,” and discover exciting new pieces that transform the “puzzle.” The exercises will give participants fun, practical skills to generate new, surprising material; polish it into a refined draft; and replicate the process at home in order to begin or enhance their writing practice.
Beaded Medicine Bags
Taught by Fern Cloud
- Tuesday, May 18 from 5:30-7:30 pm at The New London Little Theatre. Event done, thanks for attending!
- Tuesday, May 25 from 5:30-7:30 pm at The Milan Village Arts School. Event done, thanks for attending!
- Wednesday, June 23 from 5:30-7:30 pm at The Pipestone Performing Arts Center. Registration is full! Thanks for your interest. Please email email@example.com if you would like to be on a waiting list.
Plein Air Painting (Painting outdoors with oil paints)
Taught by John Sterner
- Saturday, June 5 from 12-3 pm at Camden State Park in Lynd*. Event done, thanks for attending!
- Saturday, June 12 from 12-3 pm at Shetek State Park in Currie*. Event done, thanks for attending!
- Register for Saturday, July 31 from 12-3 pm at Camden State park in Lynd*
*If you are concerned with purchasing a day pass for a Minnesota State Park to attend this class, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Taught by Tamara Isfeld
- Thursday, June 17 from 6-8 pm at the Makers on the Minnesota in Granite Falls. Registration full, thanks for your interest!
- Register for Friday, June 18 from 1-3 pm at the Greenwater Garage in New London
- Register for Saturday, June 19 from 10 am-12 pm at the Worthington Memorial Auditorium