Check back for more details!
SMAC Annual Celebration
Saturday, September 29, 2018
An Arts Day in Ortonville
Brothers 2: Don Kanten (above) and Lee Kanten (lower left)
Experience art and visit artists at:
- 1-4 pm: Open Art Studio Tours in Ortonville
(Click on each to learn more)
- John White Studio
- Photography, 33166 770th Ave: From Ortonville 6.7 mi N on Hwy 7, then 2.1 mi N on Cty Rd 9.
- Arachne Yarns & More
- Tess Smith, Fiber Art, 132 2nd St NW
- The Smallest Art Gallery
- Kathleen Marihart, mixed media/painting, 118 2nd St NW
- Ortonville Mercantile & Gallery
- Various Artists, 33 2nd St NW
- The Gueshouse by Edie Barrett
- 133 Pacific Ave. Please note: Street Parking Only
- John White Studio
Also look forward to:
- 4 pm: Social Hour at “Off the Green: Restaurant & Bar“
- 5 pm: Annual Meeting and Awards ceremony to Prairie Star Travis Erickson & Prairie Disciple LeAnn Atchison
- Prairie Star Travis Erickson is a fourth generation Dakota pipestone carver and quarrier who has been honing his artistic skills in this medium for nearly 40 years. He currently works at the Pipestone National Monument as a demonstrator for the Pipestone Indian Shrine Association. Born and raised in Pipestone, his nominator says, “this is his home and his art reflects that as seen in his choice of animals, plants, and Native American symbols associated with the region.” Nominated by Erica Volkir, Pipestone.
- Prairie Disciple LeAnn Atchison has been teaching at MACCRAY for 35 years and counting. Her nominator said, “LeAnn has reached out and touched the lives of all who entered her classroom, regardless of their level of artistic ability.” She has fostered the development of many successful artists and arts educators, often serving as the catalyst for significant professional and personal contributions to the field. Nominated by Melissa Sparks, Clara City.
- 6 pm: Dinner & Live Music by Brothers 2
- Dinner tickets are $25/person (there is no cost for those that wish to attend the annual meeting and award ceremony only). Advanced ticket purchase required. Registrations due by September 21, 2018 and will be available soon. Please check back. No physical ticket will be sent or given, instead your name and information will be kept on our reservation list-ready to welcome you at the event.
- “Brothers 2” is made up of brothers Don and Lee Kanten, who grew up in Ortonville and started playing music together in 1973 when they became roommates at Southwest State University in Marshall. There the formed “Clutch and the Shifters”, a seven piece 50’s tribute band that went on to tour nationally. In 2009 they were inducted into the MidAmerica Music Hall of Fame.
- 8 pm: SMAC’s Spirit of the Region raffle baskets
- $10 raffle ticket gets you the chance to win a basket of specialty goods made in the SMAC region (from art to wine, honey to fudge). Tickets sold in advance and at the event.
Or watch your mailbox for the invite!
If you would like to confirm you are on our mailing list for the invite, please email email@example.com or call 800-622-5284.