$50,000 budget, Deadline for submissions: June 30, 2017
Artist Call: Central Lakes Trail Play Sculpture, Springboard for the Arts, Fergus Falls
Deadline: Jun 30, 2017
Eligibility: The project is open to U.S. artists with demonstrated experience in public art design and fabrication, who have been previously been commissioned for at least 2 projects of similar scope and budget. Preference will be given to artists with a specific interest and experience in the intersection of play, health and nature.
Springboard for the Arts, Fergus Falls (see map and venue details)
With a budget of $50,000, a site selection, and playful ideas from youth, Springboard for the Arts is excited to offer this opportunity for an artist or artist team to design, fabricate and install an outdoor, permanent play sculpture at the entrance of the Central Lakes Trail in Fergus Falls, Minnesota!
Central Lakes Trail Play Sculpture RFQ
Location: Minnesota – Central
City: Fergus Falls, MN
Type: RFP / RFQ
Category: Public art
Salary: $50,000 budget
Deadline: June 30, 2017
Context and Background:
Springboard for the Arts, PartnerSHIP4Health and the Department of Natural Resources are seeking an artist or artist team to design, fabricate and install an outdoor, permanent play sculpture at the entrance of the Central Lakes Trail in Fergus Falls, Minnesota. The sculpture is intended to create an attractive destination along the Central Lakes Trail, encourage active living, creativity and play for children and their families, and provide an inspiring place to enjoy the surrounding natural environment during all seasons. We also hope to incorporate the ideas from local youth that were generated in spring of 2017, when Springboard staff led a total of 17 creative placemaking workshops, engaging 4th graders and 60 high school students in developing ideas for the sculpture through poems, drawings and clay sculptures.
The final project proposal will be selected based on the criteria below:
- Inspires Play and Creativity: Encourage interactive play for children and their families, ideally during all four seasons.
- Attracts Visitors: Create a focal point or destination at the new Central Lakes trailhead in Fergus Falls.
- Is Sustainable: Utilize materials that will withstand the elements and require minimal maintenance over time.
- Is Safe: Not pose any safety risks to the intended audience. For example, for projects that encourage climbing, follow fall height regulations, pinch points, etc.
- Is Accessible: Create an enjoyable experience for visitors regardless of age, physical or mental disability.
Funding for this project is provided by the Super Bowl Legacy Fund. A budget of $50,000 must cover all associated costs of the project, including but not limited to design, fabrication, materials, labor, transportation, lodging, insurance and installation of the sculpture.
The selected artist will receive a contract for design development, fabrication and installation services. The sculpture shall be owned by the DNR. Artist shall retain copyright, and must allow permission for all partners involved in the project to use images for educational and promotional purposes.
Qualifications or requirements
The project is open to U.S. artists with demonstrated experience in public art design and fabrication, who have been previously been commissioned for at least 2 projects of similar scope and budget. Preference will be given to artists with a specific interest and experience in the intersection of play, health and nature.
How to apply
RFQ Selection Process:
After the initial RFQ deadline on June 30, 2017, a selection committee consisting of local community members and artists will select up to three (3) finalists. Springboard will subcontract with the finalists to prepare proposals for review by the committee, along with facilitating interview meetings with finalists. An honorarium of $500 will be provided to each finalist to develop one preliminary concept for the art feature at the site. Finalists’ proposals should be developed enough to provide a good understanding of how the art will look within the context of the location. Finalists will be asked to present their proposals to the committee in person. Travel support available.
Required Submission Materials:
- Cover Page with contact information: name, address, email and phone.
- Letter of interest (no more than two pages) briefly describing how you would approach this project and its goals, previous experiences related to this project
- Three references with contact information.
- Biographical information – two pages maximum.
- Work sample list – corresponding to the work samples you are submitting. Please include year, budget, material, and dimensions.
- Up to 10 work samples – Image files saved in JPEG (.jpg) format at 72ppi, 1920 pixels on the longest side.
How to Submit
- Combine submission materials 1 – 5 [above] into one word document or PDF.
- Attach images in separate files.
- Do NOT send a design proposal at this time.
- Send all submission materials as email attachments to email@example.com, with the subject line “Central Lakes Trail Sculpture.”
Springboard for the Arts, Fergus Falls
201 W. Lincoln Ave
Fergus Falls, MN 56537