Deadline Oct. 18th, 2016
Minnesota Citizens for the Arts is a statewide, grassroots political organization that works to increase support for the arts in our state. They lobby the legislature and congress on behalf of the non-profit arts and also produce research to support arts advocacy. MCA created and passed the arts portion of the Legacy Amendment with many legislative partners that now funds the arts across Minnesota. Learn more at www.artsMN.org and www.creativeMN.org.
The full MCA Board meets four times a year in addition to holding an annual Arts Advocacy Day at the State Capitol in St. Paul. All members serve on committees that meet primarily by phone.
Interested? Fill out the form below and return it by October 18, 2016 by email (staff@artsMN.org), fax (651-917-3561), or by mail to 2233 University Ave. W. #355, St. Paul, MN 55155. MCA’s bylaws ensure that board representation comes from all over the state. Half of MCA’s 36 board members must come from the Twin Cities metro area, and half from Greater Minnesota.
Current openings on the MCA Board include three Greater Minnesota spots.
MCA seeks board members who:
- Have mix of party affiliation, and provide balance in terms of the size or type of organizations represented on the board (large, medium, small, arts education, individual artist, etc.)
- Provide other balances in terms of representing the state or the arts community (ie diversity in terms of age, race, etc).
- Are people with political connections, political strategists, and people with an understanding of the political process, or are willing to learn.
- Have clout within their organizations and/or peers, and have the ability and willingness to communicate about the need for arts advocacy.
- Have a willingness to work, volunteer and join us at our meetings.
- FYI, your nomination to the board is more likely to be successful if you are a paid member of MCA and if you have previously been a part of Arts Advocacy Day, the Legacy campaign, or volunteered for the cause in some other way.
***(Please do not nominate someone else unless you have discussed it with them first, and they have provided an answer to the question “Why do you want to be on the MCA board?).***
Successful applicants will be notified in November, 2016.
For more information, call 651-251-0868.
MCA Board Nomination Form
Send to: staff@artsMN.org
Organization (If appropriate):
Title (If appropriate):
Legislative District # (If unknown, MCA can identify it for you):
Party Affilliation (if applicable):
- Are you a current member of MCA?
- Have you volunteered with MCA?
- Please describe your experience with your local arts community:
- Please describe your political experience (desired, but not necessary):
- Why are you interested in serving on the MCA Board of Trustees?