The Montevideo Arts Project (M.A.P.), in partnership with the City of Montevideo, seeks an artist interested in creating a mural in downtown Montevideo in the area of the Jose Artigas Statue.
Opportunity and project description:
We are looking for a mural artist to create artwork for the arched wall behind the Jose Artigas Statue in Montevideo MN. The middle arch provides a blank wall, and this will be the primary mural feature. There are two additional arches with doors and windows. The artist may propose artwork for those spaces as well. There are also potential future opportunities within the plaza for additional public art projects.
This project will require a sensibility of Uruguayan culture and must have a Uruguayan/Local Friendship theme. We can provide a contact for Uruguayan consultation. This mural will need to be appropriate to celebrate the relationship between sister cities.
Artist search is open to all artists, but we are unable to reimburse for travel expenses to Minnesota.
We are not looking for a full proposal at this time, but a letter of interest that briefly identifies how you and your project idea will meet the following goals:
- Be unique and of a high artistic quality.
- Artist chosen should have experience with multiple mural projects.
- Ability to include authentic Uruguayan culture/Local Friendship in the theme.
- Include a community participation component. Examples include inviting the schools to come watch as mural is being created, or inviting clubs to help mix paint.
Montevideo, MN, population 5,247, and Montevideo, Uruguay became sister cities in 1905. It’s one of the oldest relationships of its kind in the United States.
The Montevideo connection started in 1905, when the mayors of the two cities sent their national flags to each other. Montevideo, MN.
The relationship was informal for decades, with exchanges of gifts and greetings. But the arrival of an enormous bronze statue, weighing a ton and a half, in 1949 sealed the friendship, inspiring continued visitors. Jose Gervaisio Artigas is honored as the father of Uruguay’s independence.
This RFQ will be reviewed by a committee made up of volunteers from M.A.P. A group of three finalists will be selected and paid $250 to prepare drawings of proposed mural and a detailed budget.
The three finalists will have approximately four weeks to complete drawings, budget and a full project description. The finalists will present their proposal to the committee in November 2014 in Montevideo. A small travel stipend of $60/artist will be allowed.
The M.A.P committee will review the proposals with the Uruguayan Partners. We will also offer resources to artists who wish to consult with the Uruguayan Partners while creating the artwork.
One mural will be chosen and a project grant will be written by December 15th. Proposed project start date is February 15, 2015, but at this time we cannot guarantee that a project will be funded.
If funded, the mural should be completed and installed by June 4, 2015.
Our criteria in selecting an artist to create a full scale proposal will be:
- Artistic Quality of work samples submitted.
- Experience and ability to complete project based on prior projects.
- Durability of materials used.
- Cost effectiveness.
- Use of Uruguayan/Local Friendship Theme
We intend to fundraise up to $10,000 for a mural project or up to $15,000 for a mosaic project. We currently have funding to solicit proposals but not for implementation. The final proposal will allow us to fundraise and write grants. The M.A.P. committee will be responsible for fundraising.
1) Letter of interest (up to one page)
- Briefly outline why you want to develop a proposal for this mural. (one paragraph)
- Briefly explain how you intend approach the process, with special attention how you will incorporate the Uruguayan culture/Local Friendship Theme.
- Briefly outline your experience with mural projects (one paragraph)
- Briefly outline materials used and durability of these materials. (one paragraph)
2) Three References
3) Up to 10 Work Samples in electronic format (PDF or JPEG format)
- Digital images on CD, DVD, or via Dropbox
- Dimensions: 1920 x 1920 pixels
- File Format: Save all images as a Standard JPEG
- File Size: JPEGs must be under 1.8 MB
4) Work Sample description (1 page limit) that includes budget information for each piece.
- Name, Title, Medium, Year, Budget information and a 1-2 line description of the project.
5) Contact information
October 5: Request for Qualifications due
October 20: Three artist selected to prepare full proposal with design concepts and budget.
October 22: Artists notified and contracts written
November 17: Full Proposals due
Uruguayan Partners information: www.minnesotauruguaypartners.org
All materials should be sent electronically to: Kristi.email@example.com
Large documents can be shared via dropbox or sent to: Kristi.firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions: Kristi Fernholz, 320-289-1981×106 Kristi.email@example.com
Upper Minnesota Valley Regional Development Commission
323 W Schlieman Ave.
Appleton, MN 56208