|McKnight Fellowship for Dancers & Program Assistant
Job Type: Part-time
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Company Name: The Cowles Center for Dance & The Performing Arts
Organization Overview: The Cowles Center was developed and is owned and operated by Artspace Projects, Inc. Located in the theater district of Downtown Minneapolis, the Cowles consists of two historic buildings, The Goodale Theater (formerly Shubert) and Hennepin Center for the Arts, as well as the newly constructed U.S. Bank Atrium which houses the Target Education Studio. The Cowles Center is a dance and performing arts hub that promotes movement and growth for artists through supportive programs and spaces; engages audiences tzhrough dynamic performances; and educates learners of all ages through robust and inclusive education initiatives.
McKnight Fellowships for Dancers & Choreographers Program Overview: The McKnight Fellowships for Dancers & Choreographers, housed at The Cowles Center for Dance & the Performing Arts, awards six $25,000 fellowships to mid-career Minnesota dancers and choreographers, provides artistic and career support for fellows through the SOLO commissioning program, an annual retreat, and fellows’ events. The fellowship program also awards one international choreographer each year to develop new work in collaboration with Minnesota artists. The McKnight programs are part of the wider McKnight Artist Fellowships in 14 artistic areas.
Position Summary: The Cowles Center seeks a Program Assistant to help support and advance the goals of the McKnight Dancer and Choreographer Fellowship program. Reporting to the Program Director of Fellowships for Dancers and Choreographers, this role will assist in all areas of the McKnight Fellowship Program. This position provides support for:
Fellowship Application and Selection Processes:
- Assist with the online fellowship application process and provide support to applicants
- Assist with panelist logistics
- Assist at the panel meetings
International Choreographer Residency:
- Assist with the McKnight International Choreographer Residency, including artist communications and logistics, preparing visa application materials, and event planning.
SOLO Commissioning Program:
- Act as assistant producer to the Program Director for the SOLO performances at The Cowles Center
- Support other aspects of the SOLO commissioning program, including scheduling, events, and logistics
Fellows’ retreat and fellow events:
- Assist with the annual fellows’ summer retreat in northern Minnesota, including support for advance planning, on-site logistics, meals, and retreat sessions
- 3-years related work experience, or a combination of experience and education
- Able to advance the Fellowship Program’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and foster a culture of curiosity, innovation, excellence, and purpose
- Demonstrated experience with diverse and inclusive dance and choreographic aesthetics and equitable practices relevant to arts administration
- Able to manage and prioritize multiple projects concurrently and effectively
- Able to build relationships and effectively communicate with people across levels, functions, and culture to achieve shared objectives
- Skilled in using Microsoft Office suite, Google Docs, or comparable software
- Self-motivated, creative, and able to work independently and as part of a team
- Willingness to attend evening and weekend events, typically 2-3 evenings a month
- Work experience in event planning, website maintenance, and/or social media
This is a part-time (.5 FTE) non-exempt position based in Minneapolis.
The Cowles Center and the McKnight Fellowships for Dancers and Choreographers provide equal employment opportunities for all persons regardless of race, creed, color, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, or status with regard to public assistance, disability, sex, or age.
While we encourage applications from working artists, please be aware that a person in this role would not be eligible to apply for a McKnight Fellowship in any discipline.
Please send a letter of interest and resume to Dana Kassel at: McKFell@thecowlescenter.org
Deadline for applications: November 23, 2020