“Poetry Out Loud” can help!
“There’s a poem for everyone. No matter who you are, there’s a poem that you will connect with and you will feel a really deep relationship…not only with poems but with people who share passions with you.” -Isabella Callery, 2019 Minnesota and National Poetry Out Loud Champion.
Poetry Out Loud is a national arts education program that encourages the study of great poetry by offering free educational materials and a dynamic recitation competition to high schools across the country. Poetry Out Loud is a partnership of the National Endowment for the Arts. Poetry Foundation, Minnesota State Arts Board and South Central Service Cooperative.
Poetry Out Loud provides students with opportunities to:
- Engage with poetry to learn about literary history and contemporary life
- Build skills in public speaking and self-confidence
- Meet others who love poetry
- Compete for up to $50,000 in state and national prizes
Poetry Out Loud provides materials for educators including:
- A comprehensive teacher’s guide
- Lesson plans
- NCTE and ELA Standards alignment
- Videos of student performances
- An online poetry anthology
- Promotional and media resources
For more information: mnscsc.org/poetry-out-loud
Mary Hillmann at email@example.com
This activity is made possible by a grant provided by the Minnesota State Arts Board through an appropriation from the Minnesota State Legislature and a gran from the National Endowment for the Arts.