The Made Here Showcases temporarily fill empty storefronts and commercial spaces with art by local artists, turning the downtown Minneapolis cultural district into a walkable urban art gallery.
In the interest of accessibility and inclusivity, we do not require artist statements, resumes or exhibition histories to apply. Our panel curates each open call blind, meaning that panelists review the art without knowledge of artist names in an effort to produce unbiased outcomes.
The theme for the fall/winter 2015 Showcases is Reflection. Artists may submit their proposals from now until 11:59 p.m. on Monday, September 14, 2015. For this round, we invite artists and artist groups to submit proposals for window Showcase displays that interpret the word, “Reflection.” Artist interpretations of what the Reflection theme means to them are open to their creativity.
Made Here features artists who have never exhibited work as well as internationally renowned professionals.
Made Here also works hard to feature artists representing diverse communities. On average, 40 percent of our artists are from communities of color. We also aim for balanced gender representation and make it a priority to include seniors, children, artists with disabilities, GLBT artists and artists from Greater Minnesota.
To be eligible to participate in the Made Here project all artists and artist groups must be residents of Minnesota.
We are unable to accept proposals that are demonstrative, include an element of live performance, or invite the public inside a space at this time.
All submissions will be considered, reviewed and curated by our Made Here Arts Advisory Panel based on the following criteria:
* Compelling: artistically strong in concept and execution, compelling to a diverse audience and actively seeking to engage with the public
* Viable: agile, adaptive, innovative and achievable with the resources, funds and spaces available
* Relevant: responsive to and engaging with diverse audiences, themes, neighborhoods and landscapes
* Quality: the work presented is of exemplary quality specifically in regards to the medium in which it is presented.
WHAT TO EXPECT IF YOU ARE SELECTED
Selected proposals receive an artist stipend of $500.00. If selected, artists must submit a signed W9 form and a Display Terms and Conditions contract.
Upon selection, one site visit with the Cultural District Arts Coordinator and Exhibition Manager is required to discuss and schedule your installation. Proposals in which the Showcase materials are created off-site then assembled in one visit with assistance is preferred but exceptions may be made for site-specific proposals. Please refer to our current Showcases for examples of successful outcomes and available locations: madeheremn.org/showcases.
All Showcases will be professionally photographed and featured on a dedicated page on the madeheremn.org website. The Trust will actively promote the exhibition, helping to secure earned media and sharing through its own communication channels, including emails and social media.
Each Made Here artist will be provided with access to a clean, safe commercial storefront to create your display, electrical access, extension cords, clamp lamps, light bulbs, minimal hardware and power strips, as needed. Professional installation assistance is available upon request.
There is a limited amount of technology available, which includes several flat screen TVs, projectors, reverse projection screen materials and DVD players.
TIMELINE FOR REFLECTION: MADE HERE
* August 2, 2015: Call for artists opens
* September 14, 2015: Call for artists closes
* September 30, 2015: Participating artists and locations announced
* October 16, 2015: Installations begin
* November 15, 2015: Installation completion deadline
* November 27, 2015: Reflection: Made Here launches
* March 30, 2016: Reflection: Made Here closes
* April 1, 2016: De-installations begin
To apply, please visit: madeheremn.org/opencalls
If you have any questions, feel free to contact Cultural District Arts Coordinator Joan Vorderbruggen at Joan.Vorderbruggen@hennepintheatretrust.org