Marshall Area Fine Arts Council’s (MAFAC) 19th Annual Photography Competition and Exhibit
Exhibit: September 1st-November 6, 2020
**UPDATE: DEADLINE for entries has been extended!! Please submit your photos entries by 5:30 pm on August 28th! And please help us spread the word. The show will open on Tuesday September 1 along with voting for the public’s choice award. Reception date will remain the same.**
- Registration and Delivery Deadline: Friday, August 28th by 5:30 pm. Be sure to check for compatibility with the MAFAC hanging system.
- Exhibit Opens: Tuesday, September 1st at 12 noon.
- People’s Choice Voting: Tuesday, September 1st to Friday, September 18*.
- Awards Presentations: Thursday, September 24 from 5-6:30 pm at the MAFAC Arts Center. Participants and the public are invited.
- Exhibit Closes: Friday, November 6 at 5:30 pm.
- Photos not picked up by Tuesday, November 17 become the property of MAFAC.
*People’s Choice Award is selected by Art Center visitors, who are welcome to stop by the Arts Center and cast one vote a day.
- Town & Country (Images related to town or country living)
- Transportation (Images related to traversing Lyon County for work or pleasure)
- Each photographer agrees to follow the rules and guidelines as outlined.
- Nonrefundable entry fee. $15 for one entry or $25 for two entries.
- Limit of two entries per person. Both may be in the same category. Entries must be registered by August 14 by 2 p.m. and images must be taken within Lyon County and within the last 2 years.
- All photographs must be ready for hanging. All entries must have a compatible hanging structure to MAFAC’s hanging system, such as wire or sawtooth hanger. Compatibility can be verified when entries are submitted.
- Entries that do not meet entry rules and submission requirements will be disqualified from voting.
- Traditional black/white or color. Work produced by digital cameras or digitally manipulated photos will be accepted.
- Size restrictions: • Photo image—minimum 8″ x 10″ or 80 sq. in. • Finished work (including frame)—maximum 16″ x 20″ or 320 sq. in.
- Matting, if used, must be black, cream or white.
- Works from previous MAFAC photography competitions are not eligible.
- Photographers must be 14 years or older.
- Photos are not eligible if used for class assignment or with instructor assistance.
- A copy of the completed registration form must be attached to the back of each entry. That includes the photographer’s name, address, phone number, email address, photograph title, and entry category.
- Photographs must be left up during the entire exhibit.
- Each photographer will complete the MAFAC Waiver of Claims form. MAFAC assumes no liability for photos. Photos may be offered for sale by completing the MAFAC Artist Consignment Agreement.
- By entering this competition the individual has given permission that his/her photo may be used on all MAFAC promotion materials.
- MAFAC continues to abide by the CDC rules and recommendations for visitor health and safety.
Registration from, entry fee and images must be delivered to MAFAC, PO Box 531, 109 N 3rd St, Marshall, 56258 by 2 pm on Friday, August 14, 2020.
Registration for one entry is $15, for two it is $25.
Judging criteria: Creativity, Technical Merit, Composition, Presentation, Adherence to Category Description.
- Best of Show…$50
- 1st Place Each Theme…$40
- 2nd Place Each Theme…$25
- People’s Choice Award…$20
This activity is funded, in part, by a grant from the Southwest Minnesota Arts Council through an appropriation from the MN State Legislature with money from the State’s general fund.