Contacting your state Legislators about supporting the arts

Who represents you? Find out below!


MN House Districts in the SMAC Region


Picture of Jeff Backer12A: Jeff Backer (R)
Counties: Big Stone








16A house chris swedzinski16A: Chris Swedzinski (R)

Counties: Lac qui Parle, Lyon, Yellow Medicine, and part of Redwood.
651-296-5374 or 888-234-1242







16B paul torkelson house16B: Paul Torkelson (R)

Counties: Part of Redwood and Renville.








17A house tim miller17A: Tim Miller (R)

Counties: Chippewa, Renville, Swift, and part of Kandiyohi.








17B dave baker house17B: Dave Baker (R)

Counties: Part of Kandiyohi








18A dean urdahl house18A: Dean Urdahl (R)

Counties: Meeker and part of McLeod.

651-296-4344 or 800-341-0510







18B glenn gruenhagen house18B: Glenn Gruenhagen (R)

Counties: Part of McLeod

651-296-4229 or 800-920-5861







22A joe schomacker house22A: Joe Schomacker (R)

Counties: Lincoln, Murray, Pipestone, Rock and part of Nobles

651-296-5505 or 888-727-6307







22B rod hamilton house22B: Rod Hamilton (R)

Counties: Cottonwood and part of Jackson, Nobles, and Redwood.

651-296-5373 or 800-735-2463







23A bob gunther house23A: Bob Gunther (R)

Counties: Part of Jackson

651-296-3240 or 800-684-4598







MN Senate Districts in the SMAC Region


12 Torrey N. Westrom senate12: Torrey N. Westrom (R)

Counties: Big Stone








16 Gary Dahms senate16: Gary H. Dahms (R)

Counties: Lac qui Parle, Yellow Medicine and parts of Lyon, Redwood, and Renville.








17Andrew Lang senate17: Andrew Lang (R)

Counties: Chippewa, Kandiyohi, Swift  and the majority of Renville.








18 Scott Newman senate18: Scott J. Newman (R)

Counties: McLeod and Meeker.








22 Bill Weber senate22: Bill Weber (R)

Counties: Lincoln, Nobles, Pipestone, rock, and parts of Jackson, Lyon, Murray, and Redwood.








23 Julie Rosen senate23: Julie A. Rosen (R)

Counties:Part of Jackson.








Follow these helpful steps:

  1. Visit to enter your address and confirm who represents you.
  2. Write and send a letter or email to all applicable legislators! If you prefer, you can also call with the contact information provided.

Your letter/message can be short and simple! All you need :

  1.  Your name and home address
  2. An opening sentence that explains why you are contacting them. If you have more time, you can add a few notes at the end about the arts in your town and how important they are to your community! If you are writing thanks for a grant, thank the representative for supporting the arts through the voters of Minnesota with legislative appropriations from the arts and cultural heritage fund, from the Minnesota State Legislature with money from the State’s general fund, and/or grants from the McKnight Foundation (choose the appropriate option from your grant contract).

Send your letters to the following addresses:

Representative (fill in name)
c/o MN House of Representatives
State Office Building
St. Paul, MN 55155


Senator (fill in name)
c/o MN State Senate
State Capitol Building
St. Paul, MN 55155


Minnesota Citizens for the Arts

Join Minnesota Citizens for the Arts’ “Arts Alert” email list to hear the latest arts news from the MN Legislature!

Vist or send an email to to join.

 You can also connect to MCA on Facebook:

Americans for the Arts Logo. Sways "Transforming American's Communities through the Arts.And if you’re looking to go beyond the state level for arts advocacy, be sure to check out Americans for the Arts.



Skip to content