Ekphrastic Poetry Call for Entries from Marshall Area Fine Arts Council
Entry Deadline Friday, March 8, 2019
Reception with Artist February 23, 2 pm – 4 pm, 2019. Poets are invited to attend
What is Ekphrastic Writing?
Ekphrastic writing, or writing about art, was created by the Greeks but popularized by the Romans. The goal of ekphrastic was to make the reader, or listener envision a work of art as if it were physically present. Writing prompts the individual to develop creative writing and critical thinking. Looking at art and describing art is central to being visually literate in our image saturated world.
This is MAFAC’s first opportunity to showcase poets and their writing with a visual art exhibit.
Artist Laura Migliorino will be exhibiting her photography at MAFAC Arts Center February 19 through March 29, 2019. Two of her photographs will be selected and you are invited to choose one or both of the photographs and write a poem about each. Your poetry will be shared as a part of the exhibit. Laura says, “My work has a long history of capturing the relationship between people and the environments they live in. The intimate nature of housing, shelter, and living environment is so essential to how one is defined, that it cannot be separated. The work explores the symbiotic and perplex relationship between people and their homes. This series ‘Absentia: Abandoned Past’ explores spaces in a state of abandonment or unexpected departure, creating a feeling of being animated and inhabited but absent at the same time.”
Entries are open to adults, college students, and students in grades 6-12th. There is no entry fee required for this visual art and literary exhibit. Just view and select the photograph(s) of your choice, write your poem(s) and submit by March 8. You may submit one poem for each selected photograph. Poem(s) will be added to the exhibit as received, no later than March 8.
writing and formatting guidelines:
- Entries should be written in response to one of the two identified photographs in the MAFAC Exhibit.
- Entries must be typed on 8.5” x 11” white paper using 14 point Times New Roman font.
- Entries must be submitted by email to MAFAC (firstname.lastname@example.org), or mailed to MAFAC, PO Box 531, Marshall, MN 56258 or dropped off at Arts Center, 109 N 3rd, Marshall, MN.
- There will be two photographs identified in the exhibit. Participants may submit one entry for each photograph.
- Entries should be accompanied by signed and completed entry form. Entries without forms will not be accepted.
- Poet’s name, poem title and work of art that inspired the poem must be identified on both poem and entry form.
- Entries must be postmarked no later than March 8, 2019. Art Exhibit will open on February 19, 2019.
Tuesday–Friday 12–5:30 pm