SMAC Grant Panelists Needed
For grant programs in fiscal year 2018 (July 2017 – June 2018), the SMAC Board of Directors seeks panels of artists, arts administrators, arts volunteers, and arts appreciators representing multiple artistic disciplines from throughout the SMAC geographic region.
You may apply to serve on one or more of the following four panels, which will meet on the dates listed:
Art Projects / Art Legacy Projects Grant Review Panel
- Round I: August 12, 2017
- Round II: January 6, 2018
- Round III: March 3, 2018
Equipment & Facilities Improvement Panel
- Round I: September 6, 2017 (Wednesday afternoon/evening meeting)
- Round II: February 15, 2018 (early afternoon meeting)
- November 8, 2017 (Wednesday afternoon/evening meeting)
Arts in the Schools / Art Study Opportunity for Youth Grant Panel
- Arts in the Schools Round I: November 18, 2017
- Arts in the Schools Round II: February 17, 2018
- Art Study Opportunity for Youth: April 14, 2018
Individual Artists Grant Review Panel
- Round I: August 9, 2017 (afternoon/evening meeting)
- Round II: October 7, 2017
- Round III: March 3, 2018
- Please read the following section on Grant Panel Responsibilities (printable version available below).
- Read and sign our Conflict of Interest policy (link below).
- Download or print a copy of the Grant Review Panelist Application (link below).
- Email your completed application, resume, and signed Conflict of Interest document to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to SW MN Arts Council, PO Box 55, Marshall, MN 56258.
GRANT PANEL RESPONSIBILITIES:
About the Panel position:
- Term is one year.
- Appointments are by SMAC Board decision. The board seeks to find panelists from throughout the SMAC geographic region representing a balance of members with backgrounds in each of the artistic disciplines and representing artists, arts organizations, schools and the community at large.
About Panel meetings:
- Meetings are generally held on Saturdays at the SMAC office in Marshall beginning at 9:00 A.M.
- Meeting length is dependent on number of applications. Agenda will contain time recommendations.
- Breakfast, lunch, and beverages are provided by SMAC.
- Mileage is reimbursed at $0.535 per mile.
- Attendance is crucial (a quorum of five panel members is required).
- Panelists must notify staff well in advance if unable to attend.
About Panel responsibilities:
- Position is an active, working one.
- Responsible for understanding program goals and objectives.
- Panelists log-in to SMAC’s online grant system to read grant applications and do preliminary scoring based on the criteria for the particular grant program. Then they meet to discuss the applications, finalize their scores, and make a funding recommendation to the SMAC Board of Directors.
- Panelists must declare any conflict of interest at the beginning of each meeting. If a conflict of interest exists, the panelist must abstain from discussion and voting on that application.
- An individual cannot serve on the Individual Artist Grant Panel if they are applying for an Individual Artist Grant in that round.
- Panel only has recommendation powers. The SMAC Board of Directors makes final decisions.
- Panelists must agree not to discuss the recommendations of the panel to the board prior to the board action on those recommendations.
- Panelists are asked to volunteer to conduct site evaluations of funded projects. Admission (two tickets) and mileage are reimbursed.
Grant Panel Responsibilities
All panelists are required to read the Grant Panel Responsibilities above.
Printable version: Grant Panel Responsibilities
Conflict of Interest Policy
All panelists are required to read and sign the SMAC Conflict of Interest Policy.
Grant Review Panelist Application
Email your completed application with resume and signed Conflict of Interest document to email@example.com, or mail to SW MN Arts Council, PO Box 55, Marshall, MN 56258.